Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Split Pea Soup with Ham

One of my favorite soups is my mother's homemade split pea soup. Whenever she would bake a ham, she would use the bone to make a delicious soup. Now it's my turn. Here is the general recipe she gave me:

-Immerse ham bone (leave some meat attached to bone for flavor) into water and let simmer covered for about 2 hours. Add garlic, basil, and bay leaves for flavor while simmering.
-Drain broth then refrigerate
-Once cool, remove fat from broth
-Add 1 bag of split peas to broth and let simmer for about 2-4 hrs.
-Add carrots and onions then cook for another 10-20min

My first batch of soup tasted delicious! The only error I made was too much water to begin with. I separated the broth from the soup while cooling and am hoping to use it for another dish.



No comments:

Post a Comment